During the 19th century, Mount Bethel New Jersey was a popular and prosperous town with a long history of religious and civic activity. Its earliest settlers were German immigrants. It was also home to many important figures, including presidents of the United States and the University of Pennsylvania. Despite its small size, Mount Bethel was able to attract prominent citizens to the community.
The history of Mount Bethel Church dates back to 1670. Its first rector, Dr. York, was appointed in 1791 and served until September 20th, 1800. After Dr. Chandler died, Dr. York took over the directorship. He was appointed on January 1st, 1791, and was originally from Mount Holly. After his rectorship, he accepted a call to St. Peter’s church in Albany, New York.
Coryell’s Ferry, which crossed the Delaware, was a popular destination during the American Revolution. The town was named after him and was home to a family that was a prominent member of the Presbyterian church in Bound Brook. John Johnson had four children, and he married Jane Baker, a resident of Union, who was the daughter of Jonathan Dickinson and Jane Miller.
There is a parochial school in Mount Bethel, which was founded by Father Howell in 1851. It serves approximately 300 scholars. Father Howell was born in New Brunswick, Canada, and attended the St. Mary’s prep school and church. He was greatly regarded by parishioners and was revered by Bishop Wigger, who helped build the parish and school. The parochial school is located on Spring Street. The church building was dedicated in 1892. Follow this link
One of its most well-known residents was Dr. John J. Daly, a son of Dr. James S. Cannon, who was a soldier in the Revolution. He had four children and was a member of the First Presbyterian Church. He was also a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. His wife, Jane Baker, was a daughter of Jonathan Dickinson and a wife of Jonathan Miller. Learn more here
The parish is home to a parochial school, founded in 1851 by Father Howell, with approximately 300 students. Father Howell was educated in St. Newark and attended the prep school there. His piety was a source of admiration among the parishioners. He was also respected by Bishop Wigger, who built St. Mary’s parish in 1885. The church, which has several buildings on the hill, is located at Spring Street.