The Morristown Green lies at the center of Morristown, and is accessible by walking down Morris Street. It is located at 10 N Park Pl, Morristown, NJ 07960. During the Revolutionary War, General George Washington encamped here from winter 1777 to spring 1778. During that time, the Green became a center for political and military activities. Many of the buildings on the Green served as army hospitals, officers’ headquarters, and storehouses. Today, the site is a park, with plaques describing the buildings that stood here during the war. The site of the old jail and courthouse is also marked by a monument. Informative post

The Trustees were not popular in town. Many complained about the condition of the Green and the Trustees themselves had to raise money to maintain it. In 1827, the courthouse was moved to Washington Street and the execution of LeBlanc was one of the last events held on the Green. In 1832, the church trustees debated whether to sell the Green, but the landowners who paid premiums for Green space were upset. The Trustees, however, agreed to sell off the Green to 13 men for $1,600.

The Trustees were established in 1816, and their mission is to preserve the Green as a Common for future generations to enjoy. This year, the Trustees will celebrate their 200th anniversary as stewards of the Morristown Green. They are led by Alice Cutler, the current secretary of the board.

The Green was the site of political rallies, military training, and entertainment events. It was also a meeting site for Committees of Correspondence in 1774, which met to protest British acts. The meetings were fueled by apple brandy. A new era began with a renewed commitment to the Green as a public space.

The Morristown Green is a popular site for picnics and outdoor recreation. The town also offers many recreational opportunities, such as Patriots’ Path, Loantaka Brook Reservation, and Foote’s Pond Wood. The visitor center houses a 20-minute film that focuses on the encampment. You can also visit the Wick House, which was the headquarters of Major General Arthur St. Clair during the war. It may be open for tours, depending on the season. See this page

In 1777, the Continental Army settled into Morristown for the winter. The town was known as Jockey Hollow, and Washington and his officers were based here. The encampment also served as the site of General Washington’s Tavern. The Watchung Mountains were nearby, providing protection from an attack.

Washington’s troops built the Upper Redoubt, an enclosed defensive fort, during the winter of 1777. The fort was intended to serve as an observation and alarm post in case the British invaded Morristown. The colonists never used it, however, and it was renamed Fort Nonsense in the early 1800s.

The town’s three churches are historic landmarks. Trinity Church, the third at the current site, was completed in 1839. The historic St. Paul’s Chapel, built in 1766, is another important building on the site. Hamilton’s Hearts of Oak militia conducted drills here and Washington worshiped here after his inauguration. The pew Washington sat in is still on display.